Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, September 4, 2022

Done, again...except...

Okay...this red pen edit of A Place of Safety is done, with lots of work to do as I input it. Most of the changes are in the first six or seven chapters, but I've also broken a couple of later the later one in half. Keep them from being too-too long. It's making for a lot of chapters, so I may rethink some of it...but we'll see. Depends on how much it gets expanded.

I still don't have Brendan established as tightly as I'd like. It covers six years of his life, so he's going to change some, thanks to events over which he has no control. From age 10 to 16, which is a lot for a child, but he's still soft-focus. Better than he was; just in need of further clarification. A smoother arc.

I'll try to work that out during the inputting, at least a little. But I also know I'm going to have at least one more, probably two more full drafts to do before this is over. Then maybe...maybe I'll open it up for feedback.

Blood Angel is proving to be a wash. Setting it up as book one of seven is not doing well. I might have been better off, sales-wise, using KDP, but I keep hearing horror stories of books being returned for credit and writers being told how to rewrite their stories. I wouldn't do well with that kind of nonsense being spat at me.

Of course, it would help if I spent more time doing publicity and sales for it, I'm sure. I don't really know how to handle that, and the successful authors I met online spend half their days doing nothing else. I actually asked one how he manages to find time to write, I saw him pushing his work so much, and his exhausted reply was, Don't ask. That makes me especially leery.

Ingram is still trying to ignore me over pulling How to Rape a Straight Guy from distribution. Customer Service's attitude is, We dropped it and that's all there is to it. No explanation. Nothing, after 8 years. Can't even get a response from them via their Instagram page. Irritating.

No comments: