Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Travel plans and such


Worked on export licenses, today, for various dealers who need them to return home from FIRSTS London Book Fair, in two weeks...well, 10 days from now. It's turned into a fairly major fair, all of a sudden, with dealers pushing and shoving to be part of it. That bodes well, even if Customs issues are a pain.

I'm also doing the Seattle Book Fair, again, and set that up, as well. Airline schedules are insane, right now. In order for this to work, I'm flying out on American and returning on JetBlue. Another redeye, that last one. Irritating. And with a 3 hour layover at JFK, starting at 5am. Ugh. But Southwest is even more insane. At least it'll get me out of Buffalo for a bit...and I like Seattle. Doesn't hurt the guy managing the book fair is cute.

I wish I was helping with Firsts move-in and move out, in London, but that's not in the cards. Instead, I'll be at the office working with returning shipments, for a week or so. I can use the money. Pay down some debt. Prep for the expense of self-publishing APoS...

Or I suppose I could start making the rounds to see if any mainstream publisher would be interested in handling the books. Send them what I've got, right now, and ask if they'll back me in completing the set. I have a copy of the Writer's Market so could dig into that. I know Random House and Simon & Schuster won't even consider my work except through an agent they know, but I can check others.

I'd really like for this book to be handled properly, with marketing and bookstore sales, since I suck at that stuff. They'd get seriously edited and proofed, as well. My editor is close to the same age as me and can miss stuff just as easy as I can. Besides, I think the books deserve it. I've fucked around on the story for so damned long...

I guess first thing to so is see if I can find a literary agent.

No comments: