Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, October 10, 2024

So close...

I will be done with this draft, tomorrow. I have one chapter to write, linking two sections together, and then this draft will be complete. As of now, it's over 98,000 words. And rolls along.

I'm not happy with the ending, just yet. I don't think it achieves the emotional wallop that I want. It's just a bit too quiet. Initially, I had Brendan becoming a killer...but while that would have been a massive shock, it was wrong for his character. He would never do that, no matter what. He knows the futility of it.

What I've substituted it with, however, is quiet to the point of nearly invisible. I need to think it through, more carefully. More consistently. Link it with everything else, more completely.

Well, this volume is getting at least two more drafts. But I think it's structured in the right direction. I can think of a couple things that need to be added, but overall it's a lot closer to Brendan's story than the previous drafts.

Saturday I'm heading down to San Antonio for my nephew's wedding. I was supposed to fly down, today, but I'd have been changing planes in Tampa. That was not going to happen, thanks to Milton, so I fixed it. What the heck...changing it like this save me some money and let me get in a position to finish HNH.

That's a good trade-off.

No comments: