Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Still fighting self-doubt...

I got so focused on writing, today, I worked myself into a tension headache. I've got a heating pad on my neck and shoulders, at the moment, and that's helping some...and I'm going to take a double dose of Advil. 

What's good is, I've only got about 160 pages left to rewrite and and one more chapter to develop, and I'll be done with this draft. It'll still need work, but it's a lot closer to what it needs to be.

Looks like It will be up over 100,000 words, which is good. The first two were over 140,000 words, each. Depends on how the new ending works. And if the bit between Brendan and a ghost isn't too far off the beam. It figures in, later, but I'm not sure I've got it working right, yet.

I ran into a short period where I wondered if I had any idea of what I was doing with this part of the story. Which segued into wondering about the entire book. I have books on the Maze prison that tell a lot about it but not details I really need. Like what the visitation room looked like. Or where actual parking was upon arrival to the main gate.

I played around with in in a way I hope will be okay, but I honestly don't know. So far, the best method I've found of dealing with details like that...aspects of the society and rules and regulations...is by keeping it tightly focused on Brendan, who doesn't pay much attention to such things.

His descriptions are basic and broad, unless it's directly affecting him. Sometimes he's caught in the beauty of the moment and grows a bit poetic, but it's not extreme. At least, I don't think it is.

He's coming across as a bit autistic, but low on the spectrum. Awkward socially and easily focused on fixing things, he gets truly obsessed with the minutia of it. Which works into his friends knowing even though he's been told not to try and find Joanna and refusing to help him locate her, he will focus on doing so, anyway. Won't let it go.

And it will lead to the ending that I think will work best...hope will...who knows...

No comments: