Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, April 28, 2024

Divin' in...

Fuck it. I'm doing another read-through. I'm over 100 pages in and have found I spelled Charlie and McGabbhinn two different ways, as well as a couple more typos. So my instinct was right. I'm also trimming back a bit more, so I'm under 143,000 words, now.

This really does count as draft number ten. My red pen edit was draft eight. When I input it into Word, I made a lot of changes from that and some serious restructuring, so that's draft nine. And I have reworked the sequence of a couple moments in this draft, so it fits.

I was debating cutting one bit about Brendan being molested by a nurse in a doctor's office, while he was catatonic, because it didn't really seem to go anywhere. But I got lots of kickback over that, from Brendan, so added in another point with her. And I'm thinking of a third...meaning this draft is going to be different enough.

Ask anyone who knows me and they will acknowledge I do so much rewriting on everything, it's almost a parody of the above quote. A couple of them have told me they can't tell the difference between one draft and the next, but I always can. And any changes I make are very important to me and the story and characters.

I know I could work on this beast till I'm dead, but I do need to get on to volume three, so we'll see how things go with this pass.

No comments: