Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Back to the grind of writing

It took me a fair portion of the day, but I went back into "We-come" and made some more changes and am now down to just 18 pages left to rework. So I printed out a copy and will red-pen it, tomorrow, as I do laundry. I also deepened the characters a bit.

Danny, the lead, was a big deal in skateboarding competition -- his nickname is The Art Man -- until he took a near-fatal spill during a show.

His girlfriend, Catherine, is making a video of his comeback...or his downfall; the choice is his.

Chill is another skateboarding champion who got into it because of Danny, even though there's only a 2 year spread in their ages.

The main villain is Miner, a biker drug-dealer with muscles and tattoos everywhere.

The alien, himself, isn't really seen until the second half of the script, deliberately. I'm going for a big reveal here. And I've got a fun twist on the end that'll cause an emotional earthquake, I hope.

So...currently the script is 94 pages, set in one basic location in the desert, and keeps the FX to a minimum...but there is still a bit more than I anticipated. I'm nervous about that, because I read an article about "Loopers", an SF film about time travelers who have to kill or be killed or something, and they were talking about having a minimal budget of $35m and that affected their SFX. That's a minimal budget in Hollywood, these days? Man...is my accounting out of whack.

I've also been pushing LD on a few blogs. Here's the latest bit of graphic work I've put together to try and get some traction for it. So far nothing much seems to be working. I'm getting good reviews -- 2 on Amazon, 1 on Goodreads, 1 on B&N -- so I guess it'll come together. I just wish I knew what more to do besides buy print ads or make videos to post on YouTube.

Obviously, advertising is not my forte.

No comments: