Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Spider likes my car

At least, it likes my left rearview mirror. When I arrived at the parking area, last night, and went to open the driver's door, I'd found this fat brown spider had strung a web from the outter-most part of the mirror to the door, just under the window about 4" along, and had been having itself a feast thanks to my being parked under a vapor lamp. I almost hated to move the car, it looked so self-satisfied. But I had to get home, so...before I even reached the freeway, no more web. And the spider was hidden behind the mirror, inside the mechanism.

When I came out, today, it was too hot for it to have done anything new, I guess. The car was in direct sunlight and inside was boiling, just like in Texas on a summer day. So far this summer's been well above average, temperature-wise, for Buffalo. I wonder if that means this winter's going to be a beast?

I've asked someone I met to do me a letterhead. He's going to work on it and I'm to buy him dinner when I'm in NYC, again...which looks like will be the week of December 10th. Depends on the client.

Neill Armstrong died the other day. He was the first man to set foot on the moon back in 1969. I remember watching the landing on TV and seeing Walter Cronkite actually joyful. Now we have little go-bots being photographed by our satellites as they land on Mars. This one's of Curiosity, from earlier in the month.

I saw a western movie, once, where a cowboy decided to go farther west because he'd run into two people in the space of a week and things were getting too crowded for him.

I wonder if Marvin feels the same way.

No comments: