Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Drivin' and demarkin'

The NYC area likes to do roadwork in the middle of the day, snarling traffic like you wouldn't believe. I've moved faster on the 101 at rush hour getting out of downtown LA than I did trying to get past the George Washington Bridge on the 87. Lanes on the top level were closed. Same thing happened when I headed for Orange, NJ; traffic on the 280 was shunted down to one lane just past the Newark drawbridge, so it was snarled back to the toll booths off the 95 and became more of a parking lot than anything else.

And this was at 11:30 am passing the GW and 1:45 headed down the 280. Man...I'm glad I don't have to drive a truck in this town; I'd go nuts.

Going back to the Tappan Zee Bridge was fine since I took the Garden State Parkway instead of the Turnpike. This is the bridge I crossed to get to my hotel.

Look close between the support posts on the left and you can just make out the Manhattan skyline. Here's another photo to show you what it looks like, from this distance.
The Hudson looks more like a lake than a river at this point. I've seen lakes in Texas that would love to be this wide and clean and deep.

And just around the corner is...

No comments: