Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, August 26, 2012

"Weekend"

It's set in Nottingham, England. Follows two gay men over the course of a weekend as they navigate their lives...and each other's. And it sliced through me in ways I cannot describe...it's too overwhelming.

The man in the red hoodie is Chris New, playing Glenn.

The man in the blue one is Tom Cullen, playing Russell.

Not a lot happens in the film, on the outside. But inside are earthquakes and tenderness...and blood is spilled, like in life. And these actors became so real, so open and honest and pure in their characters, I felt as if I'd seen two humans in the process of rebirth...and would love to have them as friends, with all their beauty and hurt and anger and wariness intact. Andrew Haigh deserves accolades for writing and directing...but the film lives in Chris and Tom.

This is what I once dreamed of doing in film -- telling stories about people making what they can of their lives, for better or for worse. I hint at it in some of my scripts and books...but I lost track somewhere along the line.

I need time to think. I'm taking Labor Day week off and cocooning myself away for a while. I need time, alone, untroubled.

No comments: