Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, August 5, 2012

In too deep

I got so locked into working on "We-come", yesterday, I couldn't shut my brain down when I finally got to bed. I didn't drop off till about 4:30 am then didn't wake up till 11:30. Messed up my day, because I had a ton of laundry to do and groceries to shop for. That's my Sunday ritual.

Got the laundry done, but groceries're waiting till tomorrow, after work. I didn't really need anything, so I shifted focus to WC and restructured some of my restructuring as I worked through another 18 pages. I added a scene that will be really freaky, if anyone goes for it...showing how the alien uses the humans it's captured not only for a power source, but also for a snack. It'll turn you off beef tartare, for damn sure.

I've started reading "Domestic Manners of the Americans" by Fanny Trollope...and she is viciously funny in that understated British way. I've only done 2 chapters, but her comments on the "self-styled superiority" of the Creole ladies as opposed to those she refers to as "dragoons, who are prettier and more alluring" made me laugh out loud. And she's already noticing how Americans, when you point out something that seems weird about them, will say, "But that's just in that part of the country," or something to that effect. Even as she finds it everywhere. I think I'm going to enjoy this book.

On a serious note, another peculiarity of Americans is how smart we think we are...and yet how stupid we keep proving ourselves to be. A Sikh Temple was shot up in Wisconsin, apparently by some idiot who thought they were Muslims. All because they wear turbans and have beards. Anyone who knows the first thing about religions knows the Sikh are from India and are in no way connected to the Muslim faith. But in what is looking more and more like a white supremacist attack on them, 7 Sikh men were murdered and 2 others wounded, as was a cop responding to the reports of gunfire.

This isn't the first time this has happened; in Tucson about 10 years ago, a Sikh man was killed by someone pissed off about 9/11 and Arabs. And Sikhs have been subject to attacks in other arts of the country, too. All because certain fools only pay attention to their limited view of the world, and because scum like Michelle Bachmann are running around screaming about the Muslim hoards trying to take over America from within.

Y'know, I hate to wish anybody dead, but she's one of those people I'd like to see taken out by a bolt of lightning. Maybe that would convince the commie-christians they're on the wrong path.

Naw, they'd argue with God, himself.

No comments: