Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, August 6, 2012

Scrambles

Well..."Inherent Flaws" is going to be published...as "NYPD Blood." Does that sound like pulp fiction, or what? I'm just waiting for the cover to come through and the galleys to arrive for correcting, and then off it goes. It's funny...for nearly two years I tried to get the guy whose story this is to change the title, but he wouldn't. It took this publisher two days. Shows what kind of clout I've got with people.

I worked more on WC, but it's beginning to feel repetitious. Someone's alone and BOOM! There's the bag guy. I try to make each one seem different, but I think I need to dig deeper for something more creative in this piece.

I figured out how to make the alien sympathetic, at the end. Won't know till I get there if it'll work -- I'm on page 64, right now, and the script is 88 pages long, so far. But here's the fun part -- the hero suddenly popped up with an underwear scene! It's quick and needed, but I think I'm going to have some more fun with that. Put him in briefs...maybe CKs or AussieBum.

I've already reworked the first half a couple times to better reflect what helps the story move along. When it's getting to be too convoluted, I stop it. The thing has to make sense, even in its fantastical universe.

HTRASG keeps selling better than anything else I've written. Maybe I should have put it up for a Pulitzer, when it first came out. That would've been fun. I sent BC to a Catholic college for a grant submission. All three volumes, 4 copies of each. Wasn't cheap, but the grant was for $50K so I figured, it couldn't hurt me. They never even responded.

I wonder why?

No comments: