Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, May 13, 2018

I thief from me...

It's funny...the first scene I posted, between Curran and Geri on a rooftop, was written years ago for a script I abandoned because I couldn't figure it out. I took that for a moment in the novelization of The Alice '65. When I was told of a competition seeking a 6-page scene between 2 actors, after telling myself not to I surrendered and pulled that bit out to rework it. Came out to exactly 6 pages.

And made no sense. No matter what I did to it. So I backed away, planning to ignore the competition...but then Adam came knocking and said, "If you give it back to me and Casey, it could generate interest in the book, even if it goes nowhere." So I reworked it into a scene...and it's exactly 6 pages...and I changed a bit to make it an inclusive moment between the two of them...and I like it.

Dammit.

I'll do a bit more to it to polish it up and clarify what's going on, a bit better, and send it in. But the only reason I'm willing to do it is because there is no entry fee. If they were charging to enter, I wouldn't have thought twice about ignoring it. I've put too damn much money into script contests that achieved nothing to even think of doing it, again.

This one, I'm doing it to keep getting Adam's and Casey's story out there. I have a few more tricks up my sleeve, as well, so there's my justification.

I just did something similar for Jake in The Vanishing of Owen Taylor. I'm out for reviews, since no one I gave a free copy to is willing to post one on GoodReads or Amazon or Nook or anybody. Smashwords does require the book be got through them before you can post a review on their site, but I think I've worked around that.

We'll have to see.

No comments: