Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, September 30, 2021

Another chapter done with red pen...

 ...But I got sidetracked reading this true story about a writers' room in Hollywood, as told by Dylan Park...and it was edge of your seat kind of fun...

So Brendan and his mother now have an uneasy truce, after a nasty fight, but he still avoids home until he knows she's asleep. One evening a few months later, Danny, leads him to Grianan Aileach, the circle fort just outside Derry in the Republic. They get stoned for the first time...and nearly killed when it turns out they were sneaking pot and bourbon from a smugglers' stash. Their attitude about it? Ah...good times.

I took this photo the first time I went there...20 years ago. I was also visiting Derry for the first time, and just being in the city and wandering around the places where there had been so much carnage and death...and seeing how depressed the city still was, then...it overwhelmed me and I had to get out. So I took a bus to the right stop, walked the 200 meters up to the circle fort, and stayed there until it was too late for me to catch the last bus back.

It was while I was walking to Derry...up and down hills and past fields filled with new lambs that Brendan finally began talking to me...telling me who he was...and showed me I had one hell of a lot of work to do to make the story right. We've had an off-and-on relationship-cum-tug-of-war going, ever since.

No comments: