Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Book 2 of APoS is read

 I've finished re-reading the Houston section of A Place of Safety and can see it will need a great deal of work. It skates along on the surface far too much, and I have notes throughout to expand on this or add to that. I'm even thinking of another chapter to give the relationship between Brendan and a young woman he becomes involved with in Houston a chance to really flourish.

He's in the city just as it's really gearing up to become the city it is, today. 1972-1981, just over 8 years -- though for the first 6 months of his time there he's damaged and nearly catatonic. A lot of this is him coming to terms with what Derry had become and realizing that, even though Houston is more on an even-keel...a lot of the same hatreds and anger exist in the city.

Still, the structure is solid. Not as exact as Derry is, but still no need to rework anything. The characters are in place and well-established in themselves. The vague parallels to actions in Derry are there to be expanded upon and alluded to. Brendan's voice changes a bit as he becomes more and more Americanized, though that I'm not sure about, now. I may keep him the same, all the way through.

I was able to do this despite having a nagging little headache, all day. One of those irritating things that doesn't pound but won't let you ignore it, either. I get those, every now and then, usually after a tough day but not always. I may have arthritis in my neck and that's causing it.

Getting old is not for sissies.

No comments: