Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Book 3 of APoS is...okay...so far

I truly did skim through writing book 3 of A Place of Safety, which is still obvious even after 3 drafts. Parts are repetitive and Brendan repeats himself so many times, I got sick of it. I can imagine how a reader would feel. I mean, each time it makes sense, but still... Needs a LOT of work to smooth it out.

That said, I'm about halfway through it and the structure is good. I see spaces where I need to dig a lot deeper, but no need to rework the spine, so far. What helps is this takes place in a shorter period of time than books 1 and 2 -- just a few months during the hunger strikes of 1981 -- and the story's drive is more immediate. And it helps that he's been out of the loop so doesn't need to know everything that's going on.

Something I did miss out on is making sure Brendan is being honest about his feelings instead of putting them aside to keep the story moving. That is NOT acceptable. He's faced with a life-altering betrayal and I have him seemingly little more than miffed about it. That needs to be addressed, for sure. Same for his brothers, in this part of the story; Rhuari is okay enough, but Kieran needs to be better integrated since he figures in a lot near the end.

But this is just a read through to remind myself of what I have. I find myself making notes to add something, then a paragraph later realize I addressed it, already. This book has grown so complicated, for me, I can't keep all of it straight in my head.

But I am closer to thinking I've been doing it up right.

No comments: