Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Spangled brain...

This was one of those days where I didn't get much done. I started in on Chapter 3 of APoS but things kept interrupting, and then I had an appointment with a doctor, and then I needed to hit the supermarket, and then dinner (I had a salad) and then I got home and could barely focus on putting away groceries.  I've just been all over the place, mind-wise.

I'm having a problem with my skin that may indicate it's pre-cancerous. The dermatologist I saw froze a couple of spots and wants to see me in 3 months just to be safe regarding a couple of others. I've always thought skin cancer was a possibility for me, because I had 2nd degree sunburn a couple of times, when we lived in Hawaii. So it's not so much a shock as irritating. Something else in my life that's up in the air, to be decided later.

I've also got a job set up to do in Eugene, Oregon, in a month. Had to get air fares, hotel and car settled because everything's so sketchy now. The positive thing is, I'm using up some of a credit I had with American. I had intended to go to a gay book convention in Southhampton, England, last year, but Covid killed that. I have the credit good till May of next year, fortunately, and only used half of it, but it's almost like found money.

I also learned a potential hand-carry from NYC to Las Vegas is off. It was a book bought at auction but they're going to ship it, instead, which is cheap-assed. I mean, I don't blame them for it; I'd have cost $2500 and they can get the book crated and transported for under $2000. But it's valued at nearly $300K and I was sort of hoping to take a hundred bucks and play the $1 machines to see if I could win anything. It's the only way I'll ever get out of debt.

I did still manage to do a bit of research on Derry for APoS -- mainly her streets. I have a 1946 map guide that's not 100% accurate but does well enough. Comparing it to the recent map I bought, the last time I was there, it's interesting how many streets were wiped away with redevelopment in the 60s and 70s.  I have this photo of what I think is Fox's Corner, almost like it's being viewed from Brendan's bedroom window on Nailors Row...I just wanted to verify it. Can't find it on the old map. I have photo books and another street-by-street guide to look through so it's not impossible to deal with; just more work than I wanted, right now.

God, I've got so many books and papers on this town and her history...

No comments: