Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, September 17, 2021

Day off still means writing things down,...

I took the day off from writing and read and watched 2 new episodes of Vera. Did a bit of planning for a possible trip. Recharged my batteries. I'll get back to APoS, tomorrow...but I still had notes to fill in, here and there. Aspects of the story I'd missed while writing the last draft. Deepening the emotional context. Things that popped into my head while I wasn't thinking about the story.

My subscription to Britbox doesn't run out till October 5th so I may get another episode or two in. I like the show, though not as much as I did when David Leon was Brenda Blethyn's sidekick. Kenny Doughty is okay, just not as charismatic. I don't know why David left, but they changed the way the titles were shown after he was gone. That says a lot, to me...says it was not an amicable parting.

I've slashed back on a lot of my spending. The job I had before Covid is pretty much gone; just occasional junkets to pack libraries, now and then, nothing in the office. My sole income now is Social Security, which is not enough to handle my budget. I have savings to cover me for the next 2 or so years, but then it's not going to be pretty...unless I sell a book to be made into a movie and can pay off all my debts.

That's also when my youngest brother becomes eligible for Social Security -- the age of 62. I've been supporting him, as well as everything else, and having unemployment and the supplement have kept me able to keep doing this. Prior to it, if Covid had not come along I'd have paid everything I owed off, by now. Instead, I went into maintaining mode...and my debt's slowly increased. Ah, America, land of the fuck you, I've got mine.

But...the space did let me work up some new stuff. My coloring book will come out on Tuesday, next. I got A Place of Safety pretty much worked out, plotting-wise. And Dair's Window is rebuilding itself in my head. I also have a half-dozen other books to write once I'm done with these...so I'm not unhappy. Just wish I was in a better place.

Don't we all?

No comments: