Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Dive! Dive!

I got through chapter 5 of APoS pretty quickly and input that, so worked on chapter 6...and found myself in deep water. Funny how that happens. I've gone through it with a red pen. Input the changes made. Printed it out...and an idea burst from it, so I adjusted it more and input those adjustments and printed that out and now need to go through it, again to make certain it's working. And make notes because it changes a bit of the previous chapters. Shit, here I am already closing in on 100,000 words but not 25% of the way through the rewrite. I do love my writing...says the idiot writer...

I'm at the point where Brendan's 12 and beginning to feel things for the opposite sex. He's seen Joanna, who becomes the perfect girl to him, and is beginning to better understand the violent relationship between his mother and father, prior to the man's death.

This is the part that scrambled me, because I may also have found a reason for there to be animosity between Brendan and his mother -- at least, what he thinks is the reason. Hence the possibility of more changes.

And...Brendan's now smoking and drinking. No huffing glue, yet, or spray paint. But that could be coming. What will probably save him from this is his vague autism and preference for solitude. He doesn't need chemicals or drugs to deal with the grinding poverty and boredom in Derry; he has his fix-it jobs that now includes cars. Plus, he and his mates...his chinas, as they call each other...are drifting in different directions, now, so he's not really part of their new crowds.

The way of the world, it seems.

No comments: