Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, October 3, 2021

4 January 1969

I'm through the point where the People's Democracy march is attacked at Burntollet Bridge, outside Claudy. Brendan's brother, Eamonn, is on the march so Brendan sneaks away from home to try and connect with them, but he is unable to until after the attack has happened. Eamonn is seriously injured and in Altnagelvin Hospital when Brendan finds him.

This image is from the attack, one of the marchers, many of whom were hurt but still carried on their walk up to the Guildhall, which is another 6-7 miles away. I've read reports of anywhere from a dozen people needing hospital treatment to 80. I kept the numbers of this part indistinct, for all that matters is the two brothers and their reactions to what's happened.

I have another angle of it tacked to the bulletin board above my work table. Looking straight out at me. Demanding I finish the story...as I'm trying, now, to do.

I hate to call this a coming of age moment for Brendan, but he does begin to see things more clearly and is unwilling to accept the lies and manipulations from not only the Protestant side of the struggle but also the Catholic. Still, he's only 12 and trying to figure out his way in the world so is confused and uncertain about it all. He just knows people he's trusted are not being honest with him, and it makes him back away in order to give himself time to better understand.

Become even more of a loner.

No comments: