Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Back in motion...

I finished inputting changes to another chapter, today, which puts me just over halfway through this part of the story. I'm counting in the fact that I will need to add a great deal to the chapter about Bloody Sunday and another incident that will hit Brendan before he departs Derry. Meaning this will be a good 500 pages of double-spaced Courier 12pt. I'm at nearly 104,000 words, and have little doubt I will hit 110,000 before I'm done. But it is what it is and the story is working,

The family has moved from Nailors Row, finally, to a newer house on Cliodhna Place, a street I made up. This image is from about 1970 and shows the gable wall that eventually became the Free Derry Corner, middle left in the blue circle.

Something that keeps coming up with Brendan is, he likes having a decent place to live. While on Nailors Row, even though the house was really derelict he did all he could to make it livable. Like he's nesting. This move, however, winds up positioning them close to where the Battle of Bogside happens. 

He's not a neat freak; he just wants to feel comfortable. And if that takes a bit of fixing up, here and there, so be it. He's also known by his friends and neighbors as the local Jew boy, because of how he is with money. Not sure what to do with that tidbit, yet.

I think when Brendan gets to Houston, he is going to crash into a punk phase. Mainly due to things that happen to him, there. I've got several notes about it, already, and it will carry over into his return to Derry.

I love it when the story takes off under me.

No comments: