Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, October 6, 2021

How typical...

 Well...first off, on Tuesday I got a booster shot for Covid. Pfizer. Last one gave me chills overnight, but I'd forgotten it still took me a full 48 hours to get back to feeling normal, again. So yesterday was not a good day for writing. What made it even worse? Two jobs came calling...one taking me to Las Vegas for a hand-carry, the other hopping over to Chicago to pick up a client for Firsts London's book fair. All very scramble, scramble, get it set, now.

Before the day was done, the Chicago job got canceled because they found someone actually in Chicago to do it...so I had to rearrange everything for the Las Vegas job, which was made difficult because cars are hard to come by at the rental agencies, there. My two mainstays were both out of stock. I only got a hotel set up, today...and I'm heading out tomorrow. Jesus.

Then another job came in, driving downstate in NY to pack and ship out an archive. ASAP, please. That's set for next Monday/Tuesday...so there's where my day went, today -- working up costing, arranging for transportation and accommodations and making sure the timing would work...and the following week I'm in Portland.

This always happens when I get heavy into writing or rewriting a book. I managed to get through a little of APoS, today, but found the chapter I'm working on needs to be split in half. One part would be the lead-up to the fight for Bogside; the other would be the actual fight that, for the first time, established a part of Northern Ireland as being under Catholic control instead of Protestant. That infuriated Protestants.

One good thing about this set of trips is, it will give me time to re-read Stetler's book, The Battle Of Bogside, which was written only a few months after it happened. It's long out of print, but I managed to find a copy at Walled Books in Derry, a few years ago. I'm tempted to leave my laptop at home, since I won't reallyhave time to fire it up and don't want the extra weight to lug around. I'm not checking a bag, just taking my rucksack with paperwork and a change of clothes stuffed in.

God, I'd feel so disconnected, even though my phone connects to everything...and means no blogging till Saturday...

No comments: