Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, October 15, 2021

Slowly...slowly...the end draws near...

Man, I'm fighting to finish FRT in FD. I'm at page 81 of 115 pages, and the program has gone complete squirrelly on me. I can work with it, but it's requiring a lot more effort. Line by line effort. Also, none of my keyboard shortcuts are working, so everything is point and click on the mouse.

I've gotten to where I don't only save it, I do a save as to reopen it and make certain it's being saved right. Doing this type of reformatting is tedious and mind-bending...but I'm getting there.

That said...I do like how solid the story is. And the characters are working with me to make it better. Something that happened, today, was a moment between Damon and his current girlfriend, Celia. It was supposed to end on a quiet note...but instead she got pissed and slapped him. And it made the moment work just right, because he was being a shit to her...albeit for good reasons. It also factors in better, later.

I could see turning this into a book. Explore Damon's background more, like with his parents. I toss off their influence on him with a couple lines in some dialogue with Graham, his director friend. That could be a whole chapter unto itself. And how his relationship with his ex-wife deteriorated, not from hatefulness or dislike or even falling out of love, but from a shifting of priorities on his part and her unwillingness to let that define her.

I love it when the characters do things for me.

No comments: