Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, October 22, 2021

Dismal day of nothing much

I am getting to where i do not like to fly, anymore.My trip to Portland was a series of mishaps, thanks to American Airlines, and a lot of angst that was really unnecessary. And expense.

My flight leaving Buffalo so delayed, I was going to miss my connection to Portland so had to change flights, then buy a seat on the new flight because the cheap ones were all used up. My flight leaving Portland was late and hit DFW's runways at the time it was supposed to be at the gate.

But then came 15 minutes of taxiing to get to that gate, and then I had to change terminals, and I was hungry and needed to pee, but managed to get to the gate as my group was boarding. All set to depart on time...except the plane had mechanical issues and had to be swapped out, so we had to de-plane.

And then change terminals, again. I'd never been to DFW before, but found they have a shuttle that travels over the tops of the buildings to switch you around. The good thing is, I found time enough to hit the men's room and get a grilled cheese from Panera. I finished eating just as my group was called.

THEN, I was seated next to a couple of old women who were MAGAts. they honestly thought Marco Rubio was smart and the former guy did a lot for the US, like control China! I wound up watching Rocketman so I could drown them out. It was that or toss a fit and wind up on a no-fly list.

The movie was interesting, and Taron Egerton was good as Elton John. It took up most of the flight time, and finished when the old ladies were dozing. Wore out their jaws, I guess. But we didn't arrive till way late and that totally messed me up so I didn't get to bed till 3am. Made today worthless.

On top of it...I'm coming down with something...in my nose and throat...and think it's just a sinus issue. No headache and just my usual old man body aches. But I'm playing it safe and getting a Covid test on Sunday, at Walgreen's. I do not want to wind up a carrier of that crap when I'm supposed to go down to a house where elderly people are and pack their books, next month.

My one real accomplishment today was getting a cover arranged for my copy of Russell Stetler's Battle of Bogside. A fake Brodart made from a sheet of light mylar and some strips of paper, to protect the dust jacket. I'm behind in my schedule for reading, now, but between this nose and my crankiness, I wasn't going to retain anything, anyway.

Still...as they say, Tomorrow is another day.

No comments: