Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, January 14, 2022

Beginning to plan...

I'm ignoring my own protocols for the preparation of Carli's Kills to enter the world of the published. All of my ebooks are on Smashwords because they're more available through Kobo and Apple Books and other people who don't have Kindle. But that also cuts out the KU market, so I'm going to set it up on Kindle, exclusively, to see what happens. It's a MF book so I doubt the puritans at Amazon will be as jerky about it as they are about my MM books.

When How to Rape a Straight Guy and Rape in holding Cell 6 first came out in ebook, Kindle offered them. The publisher I was with set them up. But then Amazon went through one of their freak outs and banned my books for content. I went through a nasty fight with them to get them to back down, and then they only agreed to carry the paperbacks. They wouldn't even discuss carrying them in ebook.

I was all alone in fighting this battle. I couldn't get my publisher to help me, nor did I ever get a reckoning from him of how many copies were sold, so I got my rights back and found Smashwords, and I've had good luck with them.

I also learned how to format for both paperback and ebook, so that they come out the way I want them. Hasn't been easy, but I've got a fair grip on it. Meaning when I do submit to KU, it's a ready file, not one that needs formatting by them. And no ISBN is needed, so that's good. I'll give it a year with KU. If nothing happens, I'm pulling it for Smashwords.

I'm also publishing it under a pseudonym, to keep it separate from my other work. I want to see if that makes a difference in sales. I worked out my final sales figures for 2021, and The Alice '65 fared poorly. I've had people suggest it's because of my gay novels; people don't think it's okay to read or some shit like that. I used to think that was nonsense and that people should get over it, but I've seen so much stupidity in the human race, the last few years, I no longer think my lofty beliefs are valid.

Nothing much I can do about A65, now...but I can give CK a fighting chance, at least.

No comments: