Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, January 27, 2022

Okay...draft 2 completed

I finalized the last 2 chapters of Carli's Kills, this evening, and once again the powers that be have kicked me back to the curb. I had this neat outline worked up as to what the final confrontation would be...and Dax, the main bad guy, shot it down. Literally. The bastard actually shoots Zeke! Startled me, somewhat...

It also cut probably four pages out of the ending...so it seems rushed, right now, and that is not what I want. I've been accused of getting out of my books too fast, before, so I'm trying to put the brakes on to keep this one from just being a slam-bam-thank you, ma'am kind of ending. More depth. More contemplation.

It's the Hitchcock training in me. Once the story's over, get done with it. And a few times he did that to the movie's detriment, at the end. So...I'll go back over the last two chapters and let them breathe, a little, to make sure I'm not hurting the story in any way.

As of now, it's 387 double-spaced pages in 12 point Courier, and 81,256 words. And still needs to be spunkier. More attitude. I sort of wander away from that, here and there. I could also trim it down a little.

I'm off to LA next week so probably won't do another draft till I get back, on the 8th. It's the Rare Book Fair in Pasadena, the 4th-6th of February...which is a big controversy in the book world. There's also a rare book fair in the San Francisco area, the same time, being put on by an organizer who's been doing this for years. The one in Pasadena was set up despite this by a couple of neophytes whose egos are bigger than their brains. Neither side is happy.

I don't really want to go. One of my friends, out there, will be on a movie. Two others are in Scotland, I think. And another has announced he's now Covid positive. I had a test on Monday and am still negative, so am leery of visiting his family. Guess I'll take a couple books to read and make my pilgrimages to In-n-Out Burger, Marix and Panda Express...then up the coast to Zuma Beach, once. Then it's a redeye home, Monday night.

Should be fun.

No comments: