Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, January 3, 2022

Stepping back...

Sometimes you just need to let the world go and relax. After all I've done today, that is what I'm doing, tomorrow. I spent 4 hours prep costs for a potential pickup of archives to transfer to an institution, which included working out how best to prepare the boxes so they wouldn't be damaged in transit. Seems all the long-haul carriers have decimated their staffs and replaced them with cheaper labor that doesn't know how to work a forklift. Too many times they've arrived with tears in their sides from the prongs ripping across the boxes.

In the last year, I've had to take special care with transporting shipments by freight, packing them into containers, so even if a forklift does dig into it, the shipment is safe. I've also tried to set it up, as often as I can, where I just go pick the shipment up, myself and take it. But I can't do that with any that are over 40 bankers boxes, 30 18x14x12 boxes, or traveling over 450 miles. This one's out of that range, so...

I'm talking with the client, tomorrow, about some options and timing, then will need to complete a costing spreadsheet...after which I am done for the day. I will go outside in the snow and wander around, a bit. Maybe get a hoagie from a sandwich across the street. We'll see what happens.


I'm already getting ideas on how to make CK better in the rewrite. And I'm also thinking of doing a coloring book for each of my novels, where the images reflect a moment in the story. I've now got 12 novels...no...13, with APoS, since it's in 3rd draft. 15 if I count parts 2 and 3 as separate from it, since they're in 2nd draft. And am close to 16, with Dair's Window.

Looks like my aspirations are outrunning my abilities, at the moment.

No comments: