Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, January 15, 2022

Pushing through

Another couple of chapters done in CK as I grow nearer and nearer to the day of reckoning...deciding if I go for my tragic ending or my HEA. I've got both set up, with 3 possibilities...and I'm leaving it up to the characters to decide. I think they'll surprise me as much as anybody, because I'm seeing a 4th possibility opening up, as well, concerning Sheriff Eldora Parridge.

I don't know if this is how it always works when writing in third person omniscient. First person, I'm just dealing with one character as he's going through his process. On the three other occasions where I wrote third person, it wasn't omniscient but focused solely on one individual...David in David Martin, Adam in The Alice '65, and Finn in The Beast in the Nothing Room. They were in every moment of the books and all was viewed through their perspective, almost like they were first person.

I've played with first person being presented as third person, in The Lyons' Den. About a writer trying to write but things keep getting in the way. That story's being told by Ace, the fictional detective, so it's actually Daniel telling the story through a character who's part of his mind...meaning he's telling it in both first and third person. Small wonder people get lost in it. But I had fun writing it, and I've gotten good feedback from those who did get invested in the story.

I haven't done multiple first persons in any of my stories. I find that confusing and hard to keep track of. But they've started doing it in You, however, and it only verified my belief that it throws the viewer. All of a sudden we're hearing Beck's interior dialogue jumping back and forth with Joe's...and I honestly think it hurts the revelation of who a character she's interacting with turns out to be.

I'm still not really invested in this series. They have things happen that have to happen to forward the story but don't make sense considering the truth of the characters involved. Like having a manipulative woman who's as shallow as spit on a sidewalk notice a particular book is missing from her family's library...when she probably never cracked a book in her life. Or Joe always having ways to get into apartments by doing things I flat out know would not happen in NYC.

Hell, anywhere.

I'm now treating this series as a guide to keep in mind it needs to be real when you write it, boo.

No comments: