Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, January 30, 2022

When I say completed...

What I really mean is, I'm done with writing at that moment. Today I went back over the next to the last chapter of Carli's Kills, where everything comes to a head, and reworked it to where it made more sense. Had more reason for things to happen. And explained a moment or two. It still drags, a bit...Zeke is shot and it seems Carli and Eldora are too busy talking to do much about it, so there's no real sense of urgency...but it's better.

Next comes the summing up, which should...hopefully...finalize all aspects of the story. Which ain't gonna be easy. I've got lots of loose ends to deal with, but some of those may vanish in the 3rd draft.

So I watched a Netflix rom-com-ish film because a friend of mine was the cinematographer on it -- Brad Rushing, an artist when dealing with light and film. It's a sweet story, a sequel to an earlier project he DP'd, where everything works out just right in the end once people accept each other for themselves. In both of them. Very Hallmark-oriented.

They're both called A California Christmas, with the sequel adding City Lights, and everything looks good and rolls along smoothly. The acting is okay, and both were written by Lauren Swickard to meet all the expected moments in a movie like this. She also played the female lead and her husband, Josh Swickard, was the male lead.

Fortunately, Josh is gorgeous and has his shirt off a few times in both of them, so those moments kept me going. But these stories really aren't my thing. The closest any of my work comes to something like this is The Alice '65, and even that one has a layer of darkness to it that neither of these projects have. I feel like I need to heat up some tortillas and slather butter, salt and Tabasco over them just to wash away the sugar.

Brad does such great work it hurts me not to see him in the same strata as Vilmos Zsigmond, Peter Biziou and Vittorio Storaro. But the film industry is vicious and talent alone gets you nowhere, no matter what anybody says. I like how he's finding work and maintaining his level of beauty, I just wish it was for something like Blade Runner. He's just as good as Jordan Cronenweth.

Hey, fates, help me win the lottery so I can put Brad's art to work!

No comments: