Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, January 17, 2023

A truly brilliant man, I am...not...

I didn't take my laptop with me on this trip because it was just an overnight and I figured it was too much of a pain to ferry around. Well, the fates decided I needed a good kick in the ass to remind me that any time I think I know what I'm doing, I don't. Nor should I have the hubris to believe I do.

My plan was to work more on some thoughts I had about APoS, the night before, while waiting for my flight. It's all about emphasizing how the need for control plays a massive part in what everyone is doing in not only NI but also the serial killings in Houston and even Brendan's father and Aunt & Uncle. Of course, it's not something I want to explicitly state; I want it to grow from the story...but it's a solid start to understanding another aspect of what the story is about.

Brendan cannot be controlled. Not really. He does his own thing, no matter what, and others around him find that hard to deal with. I need to illustrate it better, but at the moment it's mainly shown through his relationship with his mother and the church. It will, however, become more and more evident throughout the Houston part of the story as his sense of independence gets him into some truly vicious situations...and he learns just how far people will go to control others and force them into their own view of how they should be.

So I was going to have 5 hours in the airport to work it through until this job popped up, and suddenly I needed to start working out the logistics of it because it's happening the second week of February, immediately after a packing job in San Francisco and immediately before the California Book Fair. What materials will be needed? What are the options for travel and where to stay? What's it going to cost? How long will it take to do? And all of it on my phone, only. Which does not have anywhere near the information I needed to prep this, in full, or any of the links I've set up in Chrome.

Still I got it worked out and sent off an estimate for my part of it, today...but it turns out we probably won't be able to present the estimate to the client till Friday because we need the final okay for the SF job and that's not coming till Thursday.

If I'd had my laptop with me, I could have had this done in an hour or two. Never again.

No comments: