Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, January 14, 2023

Road trip...

Actually, a flight to Providence, RI to collect an archive to ship to a university. Flying down, tomorrow, and back Monday night. I'm not taking my laptop; it's a quickie trip and I just won't have time to do anything so why ferry it with me? I'll have my phone and can handle Facebook and Twitter and Tribel and Instagram on that, as need be. Take photos of the archives once they're on pallets. And since I'm not taking a bag, the lighter I can make my backpack, the better. This will give my brain time to sort through the new idea Brendan set up connecting the violence of Derry, Houston and the Catholic Church.

It looks like I also have a job coming up in San Francisco the first three days of February, for another archive and collection of books. And then comes the California Book Fair. There's a possibility of a collection to pack and ship in the UK that might be especially delicate, so I might push really hard to be sent over for that since it's for a major client...but we'll see how that goes. First they have to decided what's in it.

I did go through Chapter 10 of APoS, again, to smooth things out and give a hint that Scott was trying to screw Brendan up. Of course, it backfires because Brendan is far more casual about things than Scott is, down deep. He's had to be. Then Scott's off to Austin, soon after, and Brendan's only issue is the B-Girls. But he just lets them do their thing and ignores their orders, knowing they'll change them the next time he sees them, anyway.

I think when I do the next full run through APoS, I'm doing it back to front. As I work on New World For Old, I'm finding references to aspects that really need to be in Derry. Nothing major but something to note.  Like the smell of beer on Da's breath and Scott being drunk reminding Brendan of it. That's one of the reasons Scott's plan to cause trouble doesn't work; Brendan dislikes American beer and cannot stand any of the hard stuff. He just does pot and pills and his blesséd Marlboros. So early 70s.

No comments: