Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, August 6, 2024

A Place of Safety-New World For Old is set

I corrected the two errors in the text of the story and also found another typo that even my proofing editor missed. I'm telling you, typos are the devil's work. Of course, it was easy to miss. I had written the word history twice in a row, and the sentence broke from one line to the next in between them.

So I took a few hours to completely go through the file using Word's editor and found another instance. Jesus...how do you get around this crap?

Anyway, it's all uploaded and I've gotten a proof back, already, and it looks good and complete, so I've authorized setting it up. And I've purchased a copy to see how it actually prints. I got the rush service because I do want to make my self-imposed deadline. Here's hoping I get it before the end of next week.

I've gone through a couple more chapters of Home Not Home, and am adding in a bit where Brendan does actually do research for the paper he's told everyone he's writing. Looking at news stories from when his father was killed and also checking into his parents' marriage. His cover story -- the Kinsellas have been through much in the last 15 years, but are also better off than most, and they'll be a good reference point for my thesis.

Which is true. Eamonn's in jail and Brendan's banished, and Da was murdered by Protestants, but they haven't lost a child to the Nationalist/Unionist violence or at the hands of the authorities like so many others have.

When I first went to Derry, I was able to get into The Derry Journal's library, where they had years and years of copies of the twice-a-week newspaper. It's been going since the end of the 18th century, but all I needed was from 1966 to 1981.

I didn't have nearly enough time to spend there; I could easily have taken up residence for a year. With this upcoming job in the UK, I'll have Friday-Monday free, so I've been thinking about possibly hopping a flight to Derry and doing some more digging for HNH. But everything pretty much shuts down over the weekend, so it would be a misuse of time.

Maybe after???

No comments: