Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, August 2, 2024

Typical issues...

Okay...A Place of Safety-New World For Old is now uploaded to Ingram in hardcover format. I should have a proof to look at by Tuesday of next week. If that's good, I'll order a copy to see how it looks in print. If that's acceptable, it will be available on Amazon, B&N and through independent book stores about the 20th, and I can start publicizing it.

I had the usual issue of a color profile integrated into the PDF, and Ingram telling me to take it out. I tried a dozen different ways as laid out through Google searches, none of which worked on my Mac or updated version of Word.

In the How can I not help you department, I even contacted Ingram about how to remove the profile and actually got, "Well, what you do is shift it from Word to PDF by using the PDF/X-1a:2001 setting." "How do I do it?" "We can't tell you. We don't help with editing."

Finally, I shifted the Word Doc to the company PC, which has an older version of Word, and found the tab that let me shift it into a PDF without the color profile. I uploaded that and the cover and it came back fine, according to initial scanning.

Jesus...

So this volume is 346 pages, 329 of which are text. I didn't do the timeframe separations like I did with Derry; those didn't seem right for this part. But I'm now 2/3 of the way through the trilogy. If I can get Home Not Home out and available by Christmas, I'm treating myself to a dinner at Russell's, a Ruth's Chris style steakhouse here in Buffalo.

Or...I could go to the Ruth's Chris in Toronto...

I also spent some of the day preparing a quote for a possible packing job in London, not far from the Sherlock Holmes Museum and Primrose Hill. It won't be an easy job since the books are in the top floor of a townhouse with no elevator, but it would be worth it. And I'll have help for this.

So I better get my ass in gear on HNH.

No comments: