Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, August 31, 2024

It's working itself out despite me...

Seems HNH has a new timeline in mind and I'm just following along, keeping the story close to actual events. Brendan's finding more questions than answers as he looks into when his parents were married and whether they may have lived in Belfast before moving to Derry. He also finds out his father had a different name for when he got jobs telling stories at Protestant locations.

I have no idea what all of this will mean, but I'm not shutting off the spigot. It's easier to edit a bad page than a blank one. I'm up to 87K in wordage, so I think I'll have plenty to play with.

I got a DVD of Around the World in 80 Days and have a player it will work on, so watched all three hours of it, this evening. OMG...it was awful. Lumpy. Lurching. Cutting off unfinished scenes. Ridiculous story directions followed. Yet it won the Best Picture Oscar over Giant, The King and I, The Ten Commandments and Friendly Persuasion. As well as Best Cinematography (color), Editing, Original Score and Screenplay Adaptation!

Now, I saw this thing on TV when I was a kid...pan and scan, if I remember right...and thought it was great. But I didn't really know anything about film, back then...or even coherent storytelling. This film is a lesson in what not to do.

I'm still in shock.

No comments: