Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, August 30, 2024

Seeking assistance...

I'm trying to find out who took this photo of a lad in Derry. It was my original thought for a single volume A Place of Safety, back when I was still battling with the size. Now I think it would be perfect for the final volume.

Thing is, I need to get permission or to license it, and I'm running into blank walls. It's not one of Eamon Melaugh's or Willy Carson's. CAIN, which has it posted on their website, won't respond to my queries. The Derry Journal says it's not one of theirs. I'm checking with FB's Derry of the Past, right now. Maybe a member will recognize it.

I know it was taken during the last stage of the People's March in January 1969, probably along Spencer Road, on the Waterside part of town. Protestants, with the acquiescence of the RUC, were throwing rocks down on the marchers as they passed, and some were beaten with cudgels. Not as bad as at Burntollet Bridge, but pretty mean.

Brendan missed all of this, in volume one. He tried to get to Claudy to meet up with Eamonn, who was on the march, but couldn't make it and wound up finding Eamonn at Altnagelvin Hospital, badly hurt. He stayed with him, flouting hospital rules and rudeness from the staff.

As for HNH, Brendan's working with Father Jack to get an interview with Eamonn. The man knows who he is, but he's playing along with Brendan's cover story...for now. Which should prove interesting.

No comments: