Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Consolidation

I worked more on OT, today...and it began tightening up, plot-wise. The undercurrents have shifted and the backgrounds have merged and connected to the point where I may not have a book that's the length of a Dickens novel but one that's more wieldy and straightforward.

It also looks like OT will tie up some loose ends as regards "RIHC6". I'm not sure why it's working out that way, except I like a sense of continuum in Jake's, Tone's, and Matt's lives...and if I work up another story for them, it will keep moving forward with them.

I still have some questions that haven't been answered as regards Antony and Jake, important ones that figure in the detail of the story. But I'm close enough to it all to keep going and hope something pops up that won't necessitate a full rewrite. Not that I won't do one, anyway.

I played it easy, today, just doing laundry and updating parts of the book that've already been written. Tomorrow's going to be rough, with the pickup of the remaining 226 boxes we packed and driving up to Greenwich during rush hour, it looks like. NOT looking forward to that.

I learned Aaron Schwartz, a co-founder of Reddit, hanged himself Friday, Jan. 11, 2013, in New York City. In 2011, he was charged with stealing millions of free -- yes, FREE -- scientific journals from a computer archive at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in an attempt to make them even more freely available. He had pleaded not guilty, and his federal trial was to begin next month.

What's crazy about this is, he was legally authorized to download those journals. He had approved access. He did it through JSTOR, and they actually refused to press charges against him and even argued against the Department of Justice charging him with anything, but the DoJ still slapped Schwartz with 13 felony counts, apparently with MIT's approval.

Nothing new about this. In 1993, Steve Jackson Games was raided because someone writing games for them was suspected by the DoJ of stealing classified information from Bell South. Then it turned out this "classified information" was available for sale from Bell South, and in certain instances, was actually available for free. But the DoJ still pursued charges agains Steve Jackson and his company...and lost. The jury returned not guilty verdicts in 2 of the 3 charges, and the 3rd one was overturned in a scathing opinion by the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.

But they're still doing it. Turns out the US attorney pushing the case, Carmen Ortiz, was planning a run for governor of Massachusetts. Guess she figured a high-profile case like this was a slam dunk in forwarding her political career. So she drove a man who was already fragile, emotionally, to his death.

But the DoJ won't even consider trying the banksters and Wall Street scum who stole hundreds of billions of dollars from Americans and crashed the economy, despite massive proof of wrongdoing.

I've had people tell me my view of justice in the US is too jaded and harsh. That my books paint too uncompromising a picture of a system out of control. Next time someone says that to me, I'm shoving their face in this travesty.

This is not America; this is the Soviet Union's style of justice. Stalin would be proud.

No comments: