Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Slowly...slowly...slowly...

I'm like a turtle in my writing, during the week. I get some done but not as much as I'd like. And it looks like I'll be working Saturday, too, so that'll mess up the writing, as well. This job's taking a lot out of me, but Jake's ready to finish this book so I have to let it out.

Right now, I'm adding in some stuff to set up the California situation, re -- his Uncle Owen. I'd jumped the gun and put a confrontation with the cops in too soon, so finessing it to be later in the story makes sense. I need to introduce some of the other characters, first -- people like Connie, who's an ally of Jake's; Dion, of course; Kent, Dion's husband; Meredith, a older lesbian; and the townhouse Owen lived in and owns.

I know what's going on, A-B-C-wise, but for some reason I can't figure out why, yet. Got lots of possibilities, but none of them have put their claws into the meat of the plot. Maybe once I get deeper into the story, it'll become clear.

I also have a chapter between Jake and his mom that I know will factor in, in some way...but I'm still working blind, on that. Just gotta trust Jake will lead me through it.

His voice is stronger, now. None of the softening words I like to use so much come out of him...and when I do use them, he snaps at me and we take them out. I can use them with other people's dialogue, but not in his telling or speaking.

I'd hoped to have this ready in time to send it to the Breakthrough Novel competition, but no way I can do it...not and have it right. And I think this time I'm going to ask someone else to do the proofing for me...and some editing. I suck at doing that for myself.

But it's only because I know what I mean, even when no one else does.

No comments: