Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Reading on the crapper

That's when I get most of my reading done. I used to be in a rush to get in and out, but not anymore. It's relaxing to just...read. I'm currently finishing up "Confessions of a Hollywood PI", a true account of the author's time as investigator to people big in film and television. It's got short chapters and is short on detail, but it's an interesting read. I started it for research into investigations, since that's what Jake's doing in OT.

I think I'll read some Raymond Chandler, next. And maybe some Richard Parker and James Elroy. See how they handle the clues and details of the mystery.

Tonight was adjusting what I've written to fit the story's new reality. One positive thing is, this gives it an organic red herring, I think. It's going to need work to make it all fit and not meander too much, but that's half the fun.
What's even more fun is how Lemm's trying to muscle his way into Jake's inner circle, and yet is still willing to do what he must to survive -- including betrayal. Probably more than Jake would. Lemm's becoming Jake's doppelganger.

Except...Jake would never betray anyone. Would he?

Hmm.

No comments: