Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Life lessons...

That may be part of the reason I so do not like the "Twilight" series. I tried watching the first one and gave up halfway through. Bella was a snotty bitch. Edward was an aloof twerp. The story was so lumpy, I couldn't handle it. And all I've heard about the series since confirms that "Buffy..." was an anomaly -- a project with a strong female lead who could hold her own against anything and make her own hard decisions. Amazing how we've gone backwards to when men scowled and women suffered those scowls because they loved their men.

I'm thinking of the song Scarlett O'Hara sings the morning after being raped by Rhett Butler. "Oh she wept with delight when he gave her a smile, and trembled in fear at his frown." That was in 1939. You'd think things would have changed for the better.

Guess not.

No comments: