Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, June 14, 2018

A65 Paperback is uploaded...

I just sent the paperback edition of The Alice '65 off to Ingram Spark and now await a PDF proof to see how it's going to look. Hopefully, there will be no issues...but the way things have gone, this month, I ain't holdin' my breath. I can easily see this becoming another ordeal...this time over the cover. They're whining about that having ICC color profiles, but when I got the details, they were all in the trim area, so if there is an issue, they'll be cut off.

I didn't do a lot to the cover. I really like how it turned out so just subtle changes, adding a frame for emphasis, and a couple more reviews on the back...and a little tag line on top. Kind of cutesy but I needed something to fill in a bit of the yellow and it worked. Now it's a 5x8 book, 246 pages, $11.95.

That was my evening, though -- finishing this up. Something I tried to do was take the header off the first page of each chapter be breaking them into their own sections, but in order to achieve the blank header I had to use the "different first page" option and that killed the page number, at the bottom.

I considered making each chapter's first page its own section, but that messed with the header and footer even more, so I let it be. Big publishers use off-set printing for their books, and that's a lot better for this. It also enables them to use word breaks instead of "justify text" and "no widow/orphan control." POD self-publishing is limited unless you have a major program to do all of this, but I'm not getting into that. To me, it's more important the stories get read, not that they're pretty.

So maybe now I can return to the center of my universe and begin the agony, again...Brendan...

No comments: