Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Well...that's life...

In three days I may leave for what could easily turn into another 5 week stretch of work, from Chicago to London to York to New York City to Oakland to Indianapolis. I'm torn between liking the fact that I've got lots to do and wondering how I'll be able to work on PS...which is nonsense. I have my laptop. I've got lots of info in a folder on it. I can keep working.

In fact, I could sort through a lot of the files I have on PS, trying to find some I was sure I'd written but cannot seem to locate. I may take some old thumb drives with me, as well, just to check. Oh, it's been fun trying to keep track of what's happening with me...but it does sort of feed into how Brendan feels when he's in Houston and then back to Derry. He hasn't a clue as to the reality of the US and makes mistakes that hurt him -- like winding up involved with a black girl in a town that had one of the biggest chapters of the KKK in it. It may still; I don't know, for sure.

He's also going to be into drugs and drinking and all sorts of things. The 70s were pretty wide open when it came to a lot of lifestyles and choices and experimentation. We'd just finished a war that took more than 50,000 American lives and probably a million Vietnamese, so we were being very hedonistic. Life's short so have fun was the main attitude.

Of course, that ushered in Reagan and the immorally moral majority, who set about crushing any kind of joy...and AIDS, which was assigned to the gay community but was mainly a straight disease around the world...but that's after Brendan's story concludes, so I don't have to worry about it. He leaves the US shortly after Reagan's inaugurated...only to face a community that was in chaos, when he left, but had been climbing out of it...slowly...slowly...until the hunger strikes send it crashing back in. Years of peace work undone by a group of fanatics.

I think the older I get the more I realize how stupid, short-sighted and selfish most people are. We don't learn from our mistakes. We want to live in the past without knowing what it really was. And we fear the future because we know how bad it can be. It's amazing we haven't extincted ourselves long before this. Now we're in a nation where nearly 30% of the population is scared of brown babies and has no problem tearing them away from their parents and locking them into cages, as if they're all the reincarnation of Chucky. It's so fucking stupid.

Have they forgotten -- Cages can't hold Chucky...

No comments: