Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, June 8, 2018

New ideas for PS

Today's pickup of books went so smoothly and quickly, I had a couple hours to kill before going to the warehouse to finalize the shipment...so I hit a Starbucks, nearby, and got to thinking about Place of Safety. There's one character who seems to be shaping up as a true villain, in the story...and while I didn't have any trouble with him causing trouble, he now is getting people killed. Why? I don't know, yet...but I do think another character decides to fake his own death in order to get away from him.

I managed to finish the basic outline for the full book...so I think that's why this background story came up. I was looking for ways to flesh out the spine and realized I'd lost track of this one bad boy...which made sense, in a way; a lot of his crap comes out second and third hand because Brendan's in Houston and, effectively, banned from the Derry family. Only his sisters keep in contact and bring him up to date on what's happening.

It's going to be fun still giving a sense of the chaos and horror of that time while the character telling the story is living a new life in a new country...and finding it's not really so very different from his old one. He even winds up in a relationship with an older woman...just like his brother, Eamonn, did...with tragic consequences.

This one odd little bit popped up. Brendan's working at his uncle's bar in The Heights section of Houston. So one night he's on his way back to his room when he's offered a ride to a party by a couple of guys he barely knows...who turn out to be Elmer Wayne Henley and David Brooks. They hunted for boys to take to Dean Corll, to be raped and murdered...all for money. There was a huge uproar when it was found out, the summer of '73...and it's become important to the story. I know why but still...the importance of it took me by surprise.

And yet, that's what I like -- surprises...so long as they're good for the tale being told...

No comments: