Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Miami is weird...

It's not my favorite city, and even though parts of it are amazing lovely...with Florida Oaks twisting their branches out and moss dripping from the trees as you drive past...it's difficult to deal with. Traffic either goes 90 or nothing. I've actually seen cars stay in place while waiting for a light, even though the cars ahead of them have moved up and there's space for 3 vehicles between them. But when they're moving, stay the hell out of the way.

It's hot and humid and has so many micro climates, it's hard to figure out what to expect, weather-wise. In my hotel room, I was able to see the downtown skyline, and the other evening I watched a massive storm roll in off the Atlantic and completely envelop the high-rises. I figured it would swoop all the way up to my hotel...only 4 miles inland...but no. Didn't even try. Instead, it spit out a weak rainbow then vanished.

I'm up by Ft. Lauderdale, right now, and when I went to grab a bite to eat I got rained on even though there were no rain clouds around me. Big drops, too. Just enough to dampen the asphalt and make the grass smell clean, and drop the temperature by a few degrees. Ten minutes later, it's back to how it was...and there are clouds filling the sky.

The people tend to be very casual about everything and yet pissy. You can call a company and arrange to drop by to talk about a future job for them, but you get there no one will let you into the office because they think you're a salesman...and tell you to go make an appointment...until someone remembers and runs up to say it's okay, that you can come in. And then they do nothing to show they want the business.

No matter where you go in the city, you find heavy emphasis on Cuban and Latin cultures. I don't mind that -- San Antonio was so focused on Mexico it was like Texas was an afterthought that was never really thought about -- but at the same time, you see bumper stickers everywhere in cars being driven by people who are obviously Latino praising that idiot in the White House, who wants to run them all out. And Fox News plays everywhere. The dichotomy is not dichotomizing...if that's a word...

So you can keep Miami...hell, all of Florida; I'm still a California boy...

No comments: