Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, June 3, 2018

Getting old...

I got to the airport with time to spare, today, patted myself on the back and was about to pull out my laptop to answer some emails...when I found I'd left it at home. Sitting on my desk. Waiting to be packed. I'd looked around and not noticed it before I left. So I ran back outside, grabbed a cab and did a round trip back to my apartment in 45 minutes flat. Cost me $110...but I got my laptop. Which I need. And I'm pissed as hell at myself for letting it happen.

But I do that, now and then -- just don't notice things until they're pointed out to me. I can look at a section of soup for 10 minutes trying to find one particular brand and not see it till I ask a grocery store clerk and they hand it over to me. Same for typos in one of my books -- I'll look and check and inspect and get anal...and I'll still find them, after everything is done.

At least the flight down was easy and on time. Took forever to get my bag, and Avis' Ft. Lauderdale people were not pleasant to deal with. I wanted a different car (I don't like Nissans) and, since I'm a Preferred Customer, I'm supposed to be able to just grab another one and have it changed at the exit booth. Nope. "That ain't the you're supposed to get. Wanna change it? Go to the desk." Where there's a line 10 people long. I wound up taking the Nissan just so I could get out and grab a bite to eat.

I found a McDonald's close by...but it's one that uses those damned kiosks to order and it took 5 minutes for me to find what I wanted on it because apparently you're supposed to already know how things are labeled on the menu. Then its chip reader malfunctioned and I had to start over. After I was done, I went to the restroom to clean up and prep for the drive to Miami...and it was disgusting. Made me very unhappy I'd eaten there. I should have just crossed the lot and gone to Taco Bell.

Now I'm in a Best Western in Miami in a room that has a loud AC and charges for parking. And tomorrow is the beginning of a tough job. But...the initial plan was for me to get up at 3:30 am, Monday, to get to the airport by 4:30 (since I'm checking a bag) and come down on a 5:30 flight, arriving at 8:30, then drive down to Miami in morning traffic and hope to reach the location by 10 am when the packing materials might be delivered. I'd have been a nervous wreck. So I made the decision to do it this way and handle the trip separately from the packing.

I'm glad I did; imagine if I'd left my laptop at home, tomorrow morning...

No comments: