Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, June 10, 2018

Chili dogs...

When I was in San Francisco, I got an urge for a chili dog but couldn't find a place that looked good. I had my traditional In-N-Out burger and fries. I had a decent fish dinner. I even tried some California Mexican food before catching my flight home (which was good, because it was heavy and my flight out of SFO was delayed so long...AFTER we boarded...that I barely had time to make my connection to Buffalo, let alone grab anything to eat for dinner). So today I had one and ate it with a knife and fork and thoroughly enjoyed it.

There's a place in Buffalo called Louie's Texas Red Hots (why, I have no idea, because there's nothing spicy about any of it) but they have decent chili. I've tried a couple of places in town and I'm kind of picky about it. No beans. An interesting sauce. Not thick and no Chipotle crap, which everyone seems to love in just about everything, these days (you listening Ted's Hot Dogs?). So I went there before running about town on errands. Cost me $5 and held me till din-din.

The best chili dogs, however, were Tommy's in LA, at their place on Beverly at Rampart. Pinks was OK, and I preferred the Chicagoan hot dog at Carneys up on Sunset, but when my mother lived with me we'd hit Tommy's about once a week. Stand around outside and make a huge mess. Cheese and onions on 'em (one of the rare times I like raw onions)...but they didn't have relish, and I find it makes the meal a bit better. Still...slop mustard and ketchup on, and you're well on your way to pure enjoyment.

Their fries were average (unless you put chili and cheese on them; then they were heaven), and they only sold sodas in cans, but it was cheap and filling and damn good. I halfway hope to have a job in LA so I can hop back by there for dinner, sometime.

But...my next jobs are in Chicago (which is a possibility for a good chili dog) and London (I cannot think of anyplace in the UK that would do a decent dog), so...so yeah, maybe they are a heart attack waiting to happen, but damn they're good. And filling.

I think half the reason my mother died when she did was because this uptight absolutist of a nutritionist cut out 90% of the food she loved in favor of a healthier but very bland diet. She was 83, for cryin' out loud. By that age, you should be allowed to eat anything you damn well want...in measure. I mean, if she'd been fat, like me, I'd have understood that attitude...but I think she weighed just over 100 lbs when I moved to Buffalo.

Sometimes it's better to relax and just enjoy yourself...and let others do the same...

No comments: