Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, June 4, 2018

Pleasant day...if hot...

One of the joys of packing books is seeing and handling some that are just plain lovely to look at. I did that a lot, today, with an elegant collection of books illustrated by Arthur Rackham. He's England's version of N.C. Wyeth, who followed him only by a few years and who worked up images for some American classics.

Rackham's work is amazing and so detailed and yet picaresque in feel, even when painting Brunhilde kissing Siegfried's ring -- romantic and yet a bit quirky. His trees were never simply there; they drew attention to themselves in how they twisted about, adding to the raw melancholy of the image.
Wyeth's work is more romanticized and active in a classic, sweeping sort of way. Almost tender, even in a horrific situation. It also feels a bit posed. I like it, but it doesn't involve me so much as inspire appreciation of his use of color, setting, intent and shadow.
I think my favorite Rackham is of Titania, Queen of the Fairies, from Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. Simple. Elegant and sweeping, but still picaresque in the little characters attending her.

I like.


No comments: