Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, August 13, 2018

Aiming for 450 pages, or so...

I think that's how many typed, double-spaced pages the book will be once I'm done with it...which should translate to 340 or so pages in paperback form. I still have a fair amount to do, but it's getting there. Once everything's in order, I can go through and remove repetitions and explicit explanations. I'm trying to keep away from those.

A new possibility opened up, today...a different killer. Not sure how I feel about it, yet, because everything fits so neatly the way I have it...but it's not beyond the realm of possibilities to rework the ending to fit it and might make more sense. My one fear is, it might make so much sense people figure it out before it's revealed in the book.

I've been told the revelation of who committed the murders in OT is a surprise, but makes sense once they read it. I want that for this one, too. So far, the story takes place in a week, in real time in the book, but Devlin jumps around a lot when talking about things that have happened to him and his brother, Colin...and his revenges. He's getting to realize his father's abuse may have damaged him in ways unlike it damaged Colin, and he might need help to get past it.

If he doesn't wind up in jail, thanks to his illegal activities. And I'm not sugar-coating what he does. While he has his good reasons for every one of them, the effects of his actions is now coming back to crush him and he can see revenge damages not only the guilty but the innocent...and that's the part he cannot handle.

I've begun reading The ABC Murders and Agatha Christie's style is not nearly as irritating in this one. She's almost introspective. It's about a series of murders committed by some unknown person who is deliberately doing them to taunt Hercule Poirot. I've just finished the one beginning with C, and find her use of occasional third person sections is interesting. I know it's a device meant to confuse, but it's still off-beat, for her.

I wonder how far I can go to shake things up in UG?

No comments: