Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, August 25, 2018

Coming along...

UG s now over 91K in wordage and shifting and twisting as I go. I feel like I'm closing in on the ending, and still think I know what it will be...but new directions keep popping up and ideas work their way in on how best to handle the information Devlin is getting about the murders. He's just opened up a new line of inquiry for the police to follow simply because he had a meeting with a man who wasn't supposed to have been involved in the mess. Now the guy's being brought in for questioning.

Devlin's also still being a devil because he's working at seducing Reg by telling him he's not trying to seduce him...and it's beginning to work. Despite what happened only a week earlier. I don't know how I feel about that, but I'm not refusing to let it happen. It's like he's out to illustrate Aesop's fable about the farmer and the viper:

One winter a Farmer found a Viper frozen and numb with cold, and out of pity picked it up and placed it in his bosom. The Viper was no sooner revived by the warmth than it turned upon its benefactor and inflicted a fatal bite upon him; and as the poor man lay dying, he cried, "I have only got what I deserved, for taking compassion on so villainous a creature."

It's thought this story eventually became about a frog and a scorpion. From Wikipedia --

A scorpion asks a frog to carry it across a river. The frog hesitates, afraid of being stung, but the scorpion argues that if it did so, they would both drown. Considering this, the frog agrees, but midway across the river the scorpion does indeed sting the frog, dooming them both. When the frog asks the scorpion why, the scorpion replies that it was in its nature to do so.

So am I going to suggest that Devlin will not change his ways? Is that what this is about? Or will it take more than mere guilt for him to see that what he's done in the past is wrong, not only legally and morally but humanly, despite his justifications? I honestly do not know.

I guess I won't till the book is done.

No comments: