Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Closing in...

If all goes well, I will have a first draft of UG by this weekend. I've just headed down the last dive of the roller coaster, where Devlin find himself face to face with the murderer and is threatened with death. I had to stop because I now have two directions I can go with this...and each one takes me to a different killer. So comes the time to figure out who did what, where , how and when.

I know it's in the story...hell, three possible killers are hinted at in what I've written, so far. I know who I want it to be...but I have to go by what the story demands. I just hope we're in sync.

Something that came up today was a new reason for the story to be told. Devlin is coming to terms with not only the brutality of his father and the fact that his mother was killed by the man...but that the man was a beast who offered him nothing in the way of love or support. He brutalizes men to take out his anger...but also uses sex to become one with them, if that makes any sense. In the deepest part of his brain, his rapes are a way of him making love.

Shit, that sounds weird...and maybe too convoluted. Maybe I'm digging a hole that can't be filled. It's possible. I've written other stories where I think I know what I'm aiming for and find out I missed the mark by not focusing on the right aspect of it.

The Lyons' Den falls under this category. I halfway think I went too far in making Tad an asshole, because that hurt Daniel's character for wanting to get back with him. I believe I sensed it so threw in a memory of when Tad treated Daniel like a king, and he was holding onto that...but that made Tad so three-dimensional, it was hard to portray him as a selfish prick in the end.

Of course, there's also Bobby Carapisi...where I thought I was finished when I completed the first two books, but something was missing so I finally had Eric get Alan to tell his side of things, and that is what made the story complete. If I'd been listening to it better, I'd have seen that and gone with it at the same time as the first two. Still, it's complete, now, and is my #2 seller...even though it is long.

So UG is getting the opportunity to let me know who it wants to be what, and what it's all about...and that is as it should be...

No comments: