Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, August 17, 2018

Keeping on...

I love to write because it lets me build a world I want to be part of, even when it's hard and  cruel. I don't write sweet simple stories...even The Alice '65 has some serious darkness in it, as does David Martin...but I grow to love my characters as much as if they were real. Hell, sometimes they're more real to me than not. Even UG is one I wouldn't mind being part of, and it's pitch black, in spots.

I set it in London because I love the city and would be happy to live there or close by. England's been my second home for as long as I can remember. It's half the reason I made Adam English, in A65, and have Reg as the epitome of beauty and desire to Dev, in UG. I even set a couple of scripts in London.

I don't know where I'm going with this train of thought except England is where I'd like to move if I was to leave the States. Canada's cool and I could live there, but I don't think I could afford it on just Social Security, and I'm not making anywhere near enough money from my writing to supplement it, enough. Plus, they've already turned me down when I asked about emigrating there.

Of course, Ireland's another possibility. Live outside Dublin, somewhere. Hop an occasional bus up to Derry to continue working on APoS. Letterkenny isn't far from there. It's isolated, but I'm isolated in fucking Buffalo, so no change there.

It's just...I feel like things are not going to get better in November. I can see the GOP remaining in power in both the House and Senate, even if only by one member, and that'll be the end of this country. That motherfucker in the White House will have destroyed us as a Democracy and given Putin his fondest desire -- the end of America as a rival. China will also celebrate. And Czar Snowflake's family will reap the goods and live in places near and far and not give a damn about the misery they've sown.

And I don't want to be here as it happens...

No comments: