Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, August 23, 2018

Slowed down a bit on UG...

I'm at 333 pages and just under 90,000 words...and Devlin, being a little devil, is playing with Reg's confusion about what was done to him. That sort of came out of nowhere and is really not nice...but damn, it fit. I guess naming him Robert Devlin Pope was more deliberate on my part than I thought.

Tawfi's also done something I wasn't expecting. He's taken more than a sexual liking to Dev and is trying to get him to agree to be...not his slave so much as...hell, his pet. Like the beginning of a male harem? Maybe? I dunno.

I have no idea where it came from or what game Tawfi's playing, yet. But an associate revealed Tawfi knows he's under police surveillance and is acting accordingly. Is he working himself up to be the killer? Is he setting Dev up to take the fall? Damned if I can figure out what he's up to.

But that's the way it works...at least, it should work for a murder mystery. I remember seeing an Al Pacino film -- Sea of Love? -- where he's a cop investigating a serial killer murdering men who answered a personal ad in the paper. This was back way before Craigslist or Grindr. The main suspect was Ellen Barkin...who does everything she can to keep suspicion on herself. Of course, she's not the real killer...but the only clue to say otherwise was so tossed aside and flat out ignored, it infuriated me when it came up. Ruined the movie for me.

Of course, so did the inconsistency in the ending. All of the dead men were found nude and in bed, but Al's cop winds up being attacked by the killer in the same way...and he stays fully dressed. Can't have your star showing off his ass, I guess.

Anyway, I want lots of clues but lots of red herrings, too. Maybe too many, if one review of OT is to be believed...but his complaint stems from a deliberate choice I made. I wanted Jake to have to face down issue after issue after issue at the end, because that's how it works in reality. When homophobes are beaten back from hitting from one direction, they come at you from another and another.

And Jake had to show he was ready for them all...and he did...

No comments: